Skip to main content

thank you Grace Hopper

You can look at wikipedia, but there are all sorts of other references.

I am a professional software tester, almost certainly because of Grace Hopper:

If she didn't invent it, she at least made popular the term "bug"
She is largely responsible for COBOL. I began my career reading COBOL. I think if I had begun with any other language, I would probably have failed.
She was one of the first to advocate adherence to standards, without which testers would not exist.
The phrase "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." is attributed to her, and has been a hallmark of my software testing career.
The most successful periods of my career have been with female managers. Women in IT are remarkably good managers, and without Grace Hopper's influence, there would be far fewer than than there are today.

She would have been 100 years old this month.

I am proud to note her influence.